Quarantine Affects Mental Health

Stephanie Bramlett

DMS student, Carly Bramlett, feels the stress and isolation of quarantined life and online learning.

Noah Beam, Studio D Writer

During these hard times of the Covid-19 quarantine, there are a lot of questions that need answering. One of those questions would be, “Does this quarantine affect people mentally?”

Not all of those interviewed felt the same. Knox Rollins, a 6th grader at Dalton Middle School, stated, “For me personally it has been challenging because it’s a different routine.  However, I haven’t been majorly affected mentally. Sometimes staying focused, thinking about the task at hand, it’s really easy to lose focus.  Those are some daily challenges.”

Knox thinks about the closing of school after the past seven weeks at home.  “I’m holding just fine. I have been watching movies and other things with my family to keep myself busy and distracted.”

8th grader Seth Beam added his thoughts,  “I’m fine; it’s not affecting me mentally too much. My daily struggles are I can’t see my friends or do other things like that.”

The online world is revved up about the array of struggles children and adults face during this time. TheLancet.com says “The December 2019 Corona virus disease outbreak has seen many countries ask people who have potentially come into contact with the infection to isolate themselves at home or in a dedicated quarantine facility. Decisions on how to apply quarantine should be based on the best available evidence.”

FaceTime isn’t Enough

During these times of sheltering in place, people long to see their friends.  Many would say say they’ve been pulled away from each other.  

The CDC website gives a list of how the outbreak can be stressful:

Fear and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones

Changes in sleep or eating patterns

Difficulty sleeping or concentrating

Worsening of chronic health problems

Worsening of mental health conditions

In conclusion, the answer to the question is yes, quarantine and self-isolation can cause mental stress. With all of this going around we can still do our part by staying at home and trying not to go stir-crazy.