Mixed Responses to Extended Digital Learning

Gracie Young

DHS 9th grader Daria Larimer logs onto Canvas for daily assignments

Anisa Prieto, Studio D Writer

Life in Quarantine

Over the past few months Covid-19 has caused drastic changes in people’s lives around the world. With thousands of people getting sick from the deadly virus known as Covid-19, it has caused the United States to go under quarantine to make sure everyone stays safe.  In addition, school leaders had to insure that all staff and students remained safe and therefore all American schools shut down, most for the remainder of the school year.

In Dalton, Georgia students are encountering an array of difficulties with digital learning ever since the shut down. “Covid-19 has caused me to lose concentration”, says student Laila Wahid.  “Home is just not the right place to do work for children, because of all its distractions their house may contain.”

It is also hard for children who are used to have a teacher physically present to help instead of having to wait for a zoom meeting or send emails if they have questions.  The changes in classroom setup has also been hard on teachers because they have to keep their students on track, while many are parents themselves and also have to help their own children.  The separation from the quarantine makes it harder for teachers to check their students’ learning because they can no longer see if their students are distracted or not. Some students may also avoid doing their assignments or completely ignore them, including any emails from teachers. 

Covid-19 isn’t only affecting the teachers and students, but also all families and workers. In many home parents are still having to leave the house to work or in some cases have been laid off and are getting no income or reduced income.  In Dalton most people work in carpet mills or in a business relating to flooring production.   So in those plants there are many workers in the same space.

“My work environment is very challenging. But we are creating and implementing a plan to make it a safer place  ,” says DMS parent Luis Prieto.  “We have a very strong safety culture in my department and would like to continue to build off of that.  We are finding new ways to communicate with each other and implementing control measure to maintain social distancing.”  Prieto continues, “Since Covid-19 happened there has been panic, and schools have been shut down.”  

Though Prieto says his plant was shut down for a week or so, he feels confident that his company will be able to clean the whole plant and keep the workers safe.  Times are tough but he remains positive for his family and co-workers.  “We will get through this together.”